Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Why I Love Being a Mormon

I love being a Mormon. This means that I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Some people call us a cult, or crazy, or over-zealous, but what we really are is Christian. Just like any church there are the dedicated members, the members only in name, and the ex-members. I will be talking today of those who are dedicated, Christian and Mormon in their souls, trying to exemplify it every day.

Here are 10 reasons why I love being a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints:

1. I have been taught standards to live by that help improve my quality of life. During my time as a teenager in the Church through til today, I have been taught certain standards of modesty, language, and behavior. While these standards do not determine my status as a member of the Church, they have helped me become a better person. By dressing modestly I have more respect for the body that my Heavenly Father and earthly parents have blessed me with. I have found that using curse words does not help me express myself better nor does it make me feel better. When I act unkindly toward others, even if they deserve it, the situation is made worse for both of us. The standards I have been taught since childhood help me feel and be better.

2. I know I am part of a larger whole while still embracing my unique identity. Being a daughter of God has two distinct results: I am part of the family of God, which includes all of us, and I am a unique individual with special gifts, relationships, and purpose. I understand that I am a part of a greater whole, but not a nameless, faceless drone used by the Church to push their agenda forward. I have a support system in the Church, and opportunities to both lead and follow. I am given chances to learn new skills and teach them to others. I gather my own collection of lessons, skills, interests, weaknesses, and experiences to make the one and only me. Some people think Mormons are all the same and want everyone to be like them, but that's not true at all. Culturally, Utah Mormons are more likely to share interests and skills, but go to Russia or Boston or Africa and see Mormons who share beliefs and standards but are very different, unique persons. No two Mormons are meant to be the same, just as no two people ever should be regardless of religion.

3. I have been taught skills and traits that have helped me to become a better person. In the Church, we are taught to become more like Jesus Christ by becoming more charitable, patient, humble, and diligent. So many people say the Church is a group of judgmental perfectionists, but this is not true. Members of the Church are just as human as everyone else and may be judgmental, perfectionist, rude, frightened, or any other human emotion. That does not mean the Church teaches us to be that way, or that most members are. We are imperfect people striving to become more like Christ. I try every day to be better, kinder, and more like Him, but I still have so far to go. Part of being a Mormon is trying to improve and taking the little victories that come as I try to be better.

4. There is never a point of no return. Repentance is available and necessary for everyone. Whether it's because you swore at your husband or because you cheated on him, you need to repent. Whether you were angry at God or forgot about Him, you can repent. Whether you are wasted drunk or you wasted your time, He wants you and will help you to repent. As a Mormon, I am blessed with an understanding of the gift of second, third, and more chances. As we keep trying and keep improving, however slightly, no fall down need ever be permanent. While judgment is something hard to overcome in human nature, it has no place in the Church. We all sin and repentance is open to all. As Dieter F. Uchtdorf quoted, "Don't judge me because I sin differently than you."1 This is one stereotype that, as a Mormon, I am trying to rid from my life. And if I slip up and silently judge, I have the opportunity to repent.

5. Families are forever. This is a favorite song in the Church: "Families can be together forever through Heavenly Father's Plan. I always want to be with my own family, and the Lord has shown me how I can." 2 The concept of marriage and family has become so confusing with the new concepts of same-sex marriage and gender identity, but this teaching keeps me from becoming overwhelmed. Even if I don't understand why some people feel different ways, I know it will all work out if I follow Heavenly Father's plan for marriage and family. Even when I worry about my loved ones who aren't following the Church's counsel, I go back to my reason #4 and I am comforted. Especially as I spent time with our newborn son in the NICU, this piece of Mormon doctrine was especially comforting and essential for my growth during that trial.

6. The Church brings people together. My husband is very introverted, and having a baby has made me much less social. Still, once a week, we spend three hours at Church. I'm not going to lie, most weeks we do it out of duty, but we are still blessed with acquaintances and friends as we attend. As a youth I went on many, many dates because I made many, many guy friends at different church activities. Now, as an adult, I have been given meals and treats by others when I've needed them, I've found friends with similar interests and different stages of life that I can learn from. I have sisters assigned to me to visit and I get to work with the young women, helping them as best I can. While many days I'm too tired to socialize, the Church gives me an opportunity to get out of my circle, to bless others, and to be blessed by them.

7. We have access to continuing revelation from modern prophets. New problems and questions can be resolved, whether it's expounding scripture in light of modern events or receiving answers to brand new questions from God. Many people have problems with the "hierarchy" of the Church, but I don't see it that way at all. Think about it in a school sense: The principal has responsibility over the entire school. Department heads cover their departments. Teachers take care of their classes. It is a hierarchy to make sure everyone is taken care of, not because some people are more important than others. The way the Church is organized gives each of us access to the prophet, the spokesman for our God on earth, even though there are over 15 million members of the Church.

8. We want everyone to come to church, and to keep coming. I am currently serving as a secretary in the Young Women's organization. My job is to take attendance of both the leaders and girls who come to church each week. This isn't so we can punish those who don't come, but so we can reach out to those who are sick, or tired, or feel they are lacking testimony. Non-members are also invited and welcome, which is why each church building has the words "Visitors Welcome" on sign. Sunday dress is encouraged, but you will never be kicked out for jeans, shorts, flip flops, t shirts or tank tops. This is an area of acceptance that is difficult for some members, but that doesn't mean we kick them out either. Everyone is welcome with whatever clothes, flaws, or problems they have, and the Gospel of Jesus Christ, as taught in the Church of Jesus Christ, will help them become better in any and all areas they need help. I have read that "the Church is not a showplace for saints, but a hospital for sinners", and I agree. 3

9. The Church teaches me about Jesus Christ. While we're called "Mormons" because of our belief in The Book of Mormon, we learn about and worship Jesus Christ. The Book of Mormon has a subtitle on the cover which says, "Another Testament of Jesus Christ". We study the Book of Mormon and the Bible together to learn about Christ. Members of the congregation are asked to teach about Him from the different books and the words of living prophets (see reason #7), and those assignments can go to anyone who is willing. Everyone is given the opportunity to learn and teach, and Jesus Christ and His teachings are the center of it all. We also are regularly encouraged to study and learn about Him and our Heavenly Father at home by reading the scriptures, and the Church has made all scriptures--Bible, Book of Mormon, and modern revelation--free and accessible online, because faith in Jesus Christ shouldn't have a price tag.

10. It is a part of me. So much of who I am comes from being a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It's not because I'm coerced or brainwashed, but because I truly believe what I have been taught. As I have grown I've learned that more and more of Jesus Christ's teachings have place in my everyday life. I see the guidelines and standards that the leaders of the Church encourage and see how those can help me to be a better person and to treat others better. By reading my scriptures and praying daily I find that I am happier and closer to God. While there are times when interacting with other members or taking three hours on Sunday to go to church are hard, it is always worth it in the end. Whether I am blessed during the meeting or after, God knows I am trying and He blesses me for my efforts. When I mess up, or skip, or complain, He forgives me as I repent and gives me second chances. The things I have learned by being a member of this Church have influenced me so deeply that I cannot say what I would be like without it because I honestly do not know.

I love being a Mormon. It isn't always easy, and the people are not perfect, but we are all trying and being a Mormon has made me a better person. I am better, I see the blessings from it every day, and I see how much better I need to become and how many more blessings are waiting for me.

If you are not a Mormon and would like to learn more, click here. Whether you are Mormon or not, know that I love you, and more importantly that God loves you. You are His child, you matter to Him, and your worth is infinite and beyond comprehension. I know that this is true.

And that's why I love being a Mormon.

1 comment: